Vice Software (www.vicesoftware.com) is a rapidly growing custom software agency founded in 2015. It was born out of the friendship between the founders, Ryan and Prashanth, who met while building offshore teams for enterprises. After years of trying to build high performance offshore teams, Ryan and Prashanth finally figured out how to make it work, and ever since, the two have been on a mission to make custom software projects affordable and predictable for small and medium-sized companies.
The company is built around 3 core values:
- We finish what we start
- We value relationships
- We never stop learning.
By embracing these values, we’ve created a work culture that:
- puts the team member’s lifestyle and work-life balance front and center
- ensures we engage with appreciative, kind clients (no a**holes)
- that encourages us to constantly work on new and interesting problems
We are looking for someone to help us support our US-based architecture work. This person will work closely with our CEO, Ryan Vice, to provide architectural support to our various clients. Together, you will be investing in technical solutions for various challenges that arise, creating proofs of concept and designs for the offshore team to implement, helping our clients with some DevOps and automation, and other responsibilities as needed. Ryan often serves in the role of fractional CTO, and this position will also support those efforts across numerous projects.
Your Role: Back End Engineer
- Design, develop and deploy solutions to many different types of business problems.
- Set up authentication and identity with a provider like Auth0.
- Create a new architectural boilerplate in React.
- Set up some automation in Github actions.
- Code some backend features in Node.
- Set up an AWS gateway to make our deployments more flexible.
- Anything and everything that could be needed, you will be helping the CTO.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience preferred
Required Skills Summary
- Very strong debugging and reverse engineering skills
- A willingness to accept failure and feedback, learn, and try again
- Excited to learn new technologies and tools
- Highly organized and comfortable working on multiple projects
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Ability to communicate with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software features and technical designs
- Comfortable working with Git workflows like Gitflow
- Comfortable running your software in cloud environments
- Interested in modern engineering quality practices, like continuous delivery and automated testing
- Have a good understanding of data structures and algorithms, and understand how to apply them to design pragmatic solutions
Compensation and Benefits
This position is fractional; we are looking for someone who can contract with Vice Software with the potential of moving to full-time on the founding team. Compensation is negotiable based on experience.